Friday, July 2, 2010

July 1st - Bay of Fundy & Canada Day

I road along the Fundy Trail coast of New Brunswick - breathtaking views.  The Bay of Fundy and the coast along the bay have the highest and lowest tides in the world.  I stopped in the small village of Saint Martin and a lady walking with two of her neighbor children volunteered to take my picture.  I guess I looked too old to be scary.



 Low tide is a good excuse to not go fishing.  Once you're in and the tides is out - it's a good time for a beer.

I stopped at the Fundy Trail visitor information center and viewed a film of the area that was once a logging center that has now been turned over to a private non-profit supported by the province. I met Jonathan and enjoyed an interesting conversation about the area, the history of the area and the Irvings.  Jonathan will be starting college in Fredricton and plans to major in Business and Information Technology.  While we were talking a small squirrel ran into the center and Jonathan chased it out and said they run into the snack bar, grab a small bag of chips and run outside, tear them open and have a snack - the real issue is they don't pay.

Heading back out from the information center I had to go back through Saint Martin.  I stopped for some "world famous" Saint Martin fish chowder.  Check the caves in the picture with the people - just small dots.  These caves are a result of the massive shifts in the tides.

The road to Moncton was a smaller more rural drive with a lot of scenery.  I don't stop to take pictures at every picturesque opportunity otherwise I would not make any progress at all.  What I have discovered on this trip is that although it's a great way to meet new people, it would have been much more fun if my wife was along to enjoy the trip with me.  She also would "slow" me down so I would learn more about the areas I'm driving through.  I might not see as many different places but I'm sure I would learn more about the places I stop.



Moncton Canada Day festivities.  The Queen wasn't in Moncton but there was some awesome fiddle playing.

Right now I'm sitting in a lounge at the motorcycle dealer getting new tires.  When the bike's ready I will be on my way to Halifax.  I know I will have internet connection tonight but I'm not sure where I will be in Nova Scotia and what the availability might be.  When I can I will continue to update the blog.  But - you can always track my progress.  The tracker is on whenever I'm moving.

 http://www.spotadventures.com/user/profile?user_id=55906





No comments:

Post a Comment