Monday, September 1, 2014

Northern Cascades National Park


I'm spending the night in the Cascades.  There is significant traffic on highway 20 - heading towards Seattle but not too much heading the other way.  I decided to stay in one of the national campground sites.  There is hardly anyone here - most of the campers are heading home for the start of the new work week.  Not me.

                                                                          

                                                    
                                                                     The town of Newhalem in the Cascades


                                                                                                          Several dams have been built that both provide flood control as well as power.


The Northern Cascades National Park is beautiful.  The mountains are made up of jagged peaks, countless waterfalls, glaciers and permanent snowfields.  There are a lot of spires and pinnacles fo the mountain climbers - that is not me. I went on a trail hike today and I was about the only one hiking.

It's nice to take my time - but it is hard to do.  I don't really have anywhere that I need to be.  I'm not on a schedule but I feel that I should be more pressed to get to a destination - and yet I really don't have a destination.  I will meet up with my friend Bill in Kelowna either Wednesday or Thursday.   I don't really need to be there by Thursday.  Bill's 82 - where's he going....

All of my adult life - I've been pressed to get something done, to be somewhere, to be someone.  I don't know that anything I thought I had to get accomplished mattered all that much.  The only thing that really matters to me today is my family.  I've only been gone a week and I already miss them.



1 comment: