Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tuesday September 2, 2014

Tuesday September 2, 2014

I'm about 20 minutes from the Canadian border.  I could have easily made it today but stopped in Oraville.  Not the Oroville near Chico California.  I stopped mostly to do some internet based work along with making phone calls before I cross over into Canada where I will be dealing with higher rates.

The ride through the Cascades was fabulous.  There were smooth sweeping curves with plenty of time for pull outs at overlooks and also time for a hike up to one of the many falls in the area.

                                   

                                


I've travelled over much of the US, Canada, Europe, Asia, and South America and they all have some very beautiful and pretty spectacular sites.  But - I would be hard pressed to say that any of them have the geographic beauty and uniqueness that the US has.  Washington is a great state with great and interesting locations but so is Oregon, California, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, New York, etc., etc.  

                                                 
        

                                       Lighter traffic at the turnouts - one day after Labor Day

One of the places I hiked to this morning was the Gorge Dam and water fall.  On the way I passed the Gorge Powerhouse and on the way back I went to the visitor's gallery and checked out the 4 large turbines that provide some of the power for the area and Seattle.  As far as power generating operations go - it's not one of the larger generating plants but what stood out was these same turbines have been in operation since 1918.  The turbines had the same Westinghouse labels they had when the were installed.

                                                         

                                           Gen on Westinghouse - American Labor

I called my friend Bill today and told him I will be at his place on Wednesday.  Then what?  Who knows.....



No comments:

Post a Comment