Saturday, September 20, 2014

What Happened To Gary?

All of a sudden, all posts stopped.  What happened?

My plan was to leave Coeur d' Alene Idaho and head to Spokane.  I had never been to Spokane and it's the second largest city in Washington, I thought it was worth at least one day of my time.

Spokane was just a short ride from Coeur d' Alene and I arrived within about 35 minutes.  I had booked a room at the Hotel Ruby but I arrived before noon and the room was not ready.  I decided to take the opportunity to explore some of the sites on foot.  The Spokane River runs right through the center of town and the River Front Park has several bridges crossing the river.  There are at least 3 water falls and the whole area is really very nice and a great way to spend a day.

                                                            
                                                                             Hotel Ruby
                                              River Front Park
One of several falls running through the center of Spokane

Spokane River
  
After about 3 hours, I headed back to the hotel and checked into my room.  I noticed a small red spot on my left leg that was really starting to hurt.  Within an hour - it was worse.  I didn't think too much of it but decided to go to an urgent care center to get it checked out.  I didn't know when I might be in a town with good medical facilities further down the road.  I was told that I had a skin infection and was given antibiotics and told to stay off my feet and to call if things got worse.  

The next day, I could hardly walk and called a cab for a ride to an emergency room.  I was then admitted to the hospital and put on intravenous antibiotics for 4 days with a skin infection that I understand, if not treated, can end up being very serious.   

I was released from the hospital on Saturday, July 13th and flew home with my wife the next day.  I was told to see my personal physician as soon as I got home.  I've been at home for a week and have still not fully recovered and have been on oral antibiotics since leaving the hospital.  I am better but not completely healed.

Unfortunately I've had to have my bike shipped back.  It was disappointing to not be able to continue my ride but I am thankful for being smart enough to get my leg checked-out and very fortunate to have had great care from all of the staff at the Deaconess Medical Center in Spokane.

When I feel fully recovered I will update this blog with some of my observations made during and after the trip.

Thank you all for following and for you concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment