Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 24 - Wednesday in Toronto

Last night I attended an after work soccer game that Amanda and Ben played in - I won't mention the score - but it was very close....

Today - I met Amanda and two of her co-workers (Lauren and Marjike) for lunch - then tried to make my way through the demonstrators back to the apartment.
 
 Over the past week I've met many of Amanda's friends, seen interesting parts of Toronto and shared some great time with my daughter and Ben.  It's going to be hard to leave.  Monday I plan to hit the road heading east to Ottawa, Montreal, and New Brunswick.  New Brunswick for new tires and then on the Nova Scotia.  I really like Canadians.  Canadians are friendly, have a very strong since of pride in their country, seem to have a good handle on what's important.  Even with all of the police in town I have found the police to be a good group with smiles on their faces and open to their surrounding without the constant points of suspicion that US police seem to have become accustomed to.

I love the small neighborhoods and could see living in any number (of course not without my wife).  Any variety, from very upscale to laid-back like the one in the picture to the left have a draw.

Tonight we are going to the "Rex" - a jazz club a half block from Amanda and Ben's apartment - always entertaining and reasonably priced.

Yes - I like Canada and Toronto.



Somehow I seem to have a lot of sympathy for this non-violent protest.  It must be a harking back to days on the street - many years ago.









Right now I'm sitting in a Starbucks and there has been an endless line of police coming in for breaks - taking coffee back outside, sitting and chatting, smiling, and laughing - just like the rest of us.  I'll be very disappointed if anything happens during the G20 that might change this feeling I have right now.

 Well - right now I need to go help some of Amanda's neighbors look for the other half of their house.


No comments:

Post a Comment