Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 16 - Lake Superior - Eastern Time








The Lakers did a nice job on the Celtics last night and it was a great way to start the day. There was a little rain but not bad. I made it to Thunder Bay and beyond. My plan was to spend the night in one of the many parks. The weather was fine and it seemed like a good day to sleep under the stars (in a tent). I also figured it was time to donate some more blood to the local mosquito population.

As I was riding along one of the towns coming up was Rossport. It was almost 5pm and I thought that I would just cruise through. What a great little find. Right on Lake Superior in a little sheltered bay. There were three bed and breakfast inns and I picked the Willow. A great place - clean and neat.

The town has a population of 100. I went for a walk down to one of the other inns - The Ross Port Inn - where I met John and Karl, both from Atlanta, and riding BMW motorcycles to Alaska. They gave me some great tips on where to go in Nova Scotia if I take that route instead of Labrador.












Here's a PS - as I was walking out to tuck my bike in - Steve and Linda from California were unloading their car (Boxter). Steve is a physician in Benicia and and Linda is a teacher (Steve retired in December - maybe it a theme) - Linda is still working. They are headed to Labrador and to visit their daughter in New York. They are taking only two lane roads and driving with the convertible top down. They have a blog - check it out www.twolanes-topdown.blogspot.com. Small world - and what are they doing following me...???

Okay - so for the trivia bit from last night - here is what it looks like completed. On each side of the highway there are 6 to 7 foot fences to try and keep deer, elk and other animals from trying to cross the road and ending up as a part of a car (or motorcycle). The tunnel is really a fenced over-pass for animals to get from one side of the road to another. They have these every 5 to 10 miles.



If you are not following me on the maps - here's the address again.

This is the link that takes you right to the map. http://www.spotadventures.com/user/profile?user_id=55906

No comments:

Post a Comment