Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1, 2010 Weaverville







I arrived in Weaverville around 4:00pm today on the first leg of my journey. What a beautiful ride. There is still snow on the mountains and if you have never been to the Trinity area it's easy to forget that you are still in California. It is very remote. The population of Weaverville is around 3200. Trinity is considered to be one of the most remote areas in California.




I'm spending the night with Jeff and Jeannie - two friends that moved here about a year ago from Sebastopol. Jeff and Jeannie met while they were both in the peace corp and are very devoted to each other. Jeff agreed to pull up stakes from Sebastopol and move to Weaverville in support of Jeannie's new position as the local Trinity Congregational Church minister.

Great dinner, great conversation. This was a major career change for Jeannie. I did ask them the questions but I knew the answer going in. Both of them have been devoted to making the world a better place. Jeannie loves the church and the people and feels there's a lot she can do to support the community and the congregation. Jeff is very active in Rotary and is working to invest time in trying to develop an Eco-tourism industry. The unemployment rate here is 22%.

On the clowns - Jeannie's said that as a child she was not afraid of them but that being at the circus they seemed so far away. Now - they do seem a little scary.

(They scare the hell out of me when they play with knives)

Tomorrow I'm off to Lassen Natl Park and then the Tulle lake. It is supposed to rain.
I know that some of you have had problems with the tracking. I'm doing something wrong in my links to the shared space. I'll get it worked out.

1 comment:

  1. Gary, we enjoyed your visit and now enjoy seeing you journey on.

    Ogenki de ne! Yoroshiku.

    Anata no tomadachi.

    ReplyDelete