Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 11th - Lake Louise to Rosetown


Right now I'm sitting in a Starbucks in Saskatoon - on the internet and using Skype to make a few calls. Ain't it great.

Yesterday the ride from Deadman's Flats to Lake Louise and then to Rosetown was pleasant. Pleasant means - no rain.

Lake Louise is about 30 minutes north from Banff. The lake is not all that big but the setting was spectacular. The lake looks like it just dropped out of the sky and settled in between this magnificent mountain - (thanks Brian).

I ended my ride in Rosetown - a very small town in Saskatchewan about 40 minutes from Saskatoon. Like so many things that have happened on this ride, this morning while having breakfast in the very small breakfast room at the Rosetown Motel - I met Ron Pegg and his wife Cathy. Ron is a retired school teacher, and coach and has been writing books - the latest, on the life of Ernest Manning. Ernest Manning was the premier of Alberta for 7 consecutive terms and always held a majority government. Manning was born in Saskatchewan not far from Rosetown and Ron was going to be participating in a local book signing. Ron asked me if I had heard of Ernest Manning and I said no. He said he was a politician and I asked if he was a good man or a crook. He said, "a good man." Manning was responsible for setting up the royalty system with the gas and oil companies in Alberta. Over the years - this system has contributed significantly to the financial health of Alberta. In Canada, Alberta and Saskatchewan in particular, Manning is considered a Giant Among Giants.

Ron and Cathy live in Ontario and graciously invited me to visit.

Today I will probably stay close to Saskatoon and then head to Riding Mountain Park in Manitoba on Sunday. It looks like sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment