Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Day Out

What I Packed:

Spot Satellite tracker - I use this to show my location along the way and to check in to let my family and friends know that I'm okay.  More importantly - if I get in a jam,  I can press one button and it sends out a distress message along with my lattitude and longetude.  That way the bears and buzzards know where to find me.

Sleeping bag, pad and tent:  Although I will probably be staying in a lot of B&Bs and some cheap motels - I do really enjoy camping.  I like waking up in the morning outside.  The only real down-side for someone my age is getting up to pee 2 or 3 times a night.


  • Grizley Bear Pepper Spray - Hope I don't need it
  • Mini iPad and Mini iPad keyboard.  This is what I will use to blog and take photos.
  • Mini Stove and 2 small gas containers
  • 2 dehydrated meals
  • Camelback -  When it gets over 80 in the sun - keeping hydrated is essential.
  • Tool Kit
  • Maps
  • 3 Days change of cloaths. (That should last 3 weeks)
  • Toilet Paper
  • Heated jacket - plugs into an assesory jack on the bike
  • Rain Pants
  • Other stuff
I made it to Crescent City last night and spent the night in a State Camp ground.  What I saw:  Just as I was crossing the Klamath River I looked down and along river's edge was a big black bear.  What I learned: Make sure that my tent is not down hill from where I might get up to pee in the middle of the night....

Off to Oregon.....




No comments:

Post a Comment